Saturday, October 3, 2015

Everything happens for a reason

I believe that everything happens for a reason.



On Wednesday 30 Sept, I was going through my usual day with Elson Soh to meetings and to give blessings around and we prepared goody bags for Children homes in conjunction with upcoming Children Day. I thought I was about to end my day at our final meeting at Jurong Point, when suddenly my phone which I was holding onto drop face down to the floor while I exit from my car. To my horror, my glass panel of my phone shattered to bits and pieces. After ending our meeting, we search online and found a phone repair shop near Boon Lay Drive.

Upon reaching there, it was pure luck that they left the final glass panel for the model of my phone and would take about an hour to fix everything. And so, we walk around the estate looking for a place to settle down. This is when Elson noticed that the surrounding estate look pretty like the olden days where people will gather down stairs and chatted with their friends and families, which is very kampung style. Elson saw there are several estates for the low income families and we decided to take a walk there.


After talking to the families and walking around the block, we chanced upon a very empty house, with only one fan, pillows, no tv, no furniture. We can even hear our echo as we chatted with them. We found out that they had just shifted into this rental flat not more than two weeks. They are trying very hard to save money to buy furniture, cooking equipment, and rations too. But with the father earning $50 a day, it will take them a very long time to be able to lead a normal life.  


Our hearts broke when we hear that they are waiting for the father to come home to buy dinner for them. We immediately bring them out to stock up on food rations at the nearby NTUC. We also brought them dinner, as they didn't eat much since morning, as they can't cook without any cooking equipment, they can't keep any fresh ration without a fridge. While ordering dinner for them at coffeeshop, Elson saw the baby girl staring at one of the customers' food and can tell that she is very very famished. We decided to help them through Project Awareness to render them immediate assistance and to give them basic furniture and cooking equipment so they can lead a more stable life soon.

I'm glad that through my own unfortunate event that I accidentally broke my phone, eventually giving me a chance to helping this family tide through this tough period of their life.

Engaging with Happy People in social change and identifies empathy that can enhance life satisfaction with happiness.

吳錦南 Jacky Goh
Happy People - Make Smiles where we go

No comments:

Post a Comment